PERBEDAAN SENSITIVITAS PENGECAPAN RASA ASIN AKIBAT PEMAKAIAN OBAT KUMUR BERALKOHOL
Mouthwash is a product used to maintain oral hygiene. Most of mouthwash contains alcohol with concentration > 0 ≤ 27% which is used as solvent, preservative, flavour carrier and as an antibacterial. The effect of using mouthwash containing alcohol is that alcohol as drying agent, decreases in salivary flow, produced metabolites acetaldehyde and causes degeneration of nerve endings that can decrease the sensitivity of tasting. This study aimed to determine the differences of salty tasting due to using mouthwash containing 27% alcohol in 15 days. This research used a pretest and posttest group. The first group used mouthwash containing 27% alcohol and the second group used non-alcohol mouthwash. The first step, NaCl solution was dropped on the surface of the right lateral part of the anterior tongue from low to high concentration until the sample could taste the salty taste. Sample used mouthwash in 15 days according to the direction of usage on the bottles of mouthwash. The last step, NaCl solution was dropped on the surface of the right lateral part of the anterior tongue from low to high concentration until the sample could taste the salty taste. Data analysis using Wilcoxon Signed Ranks Test and Mann-Whitney test. The results showed significant differences between the two groups (p = 0.001). Salty taste sensitivity because of the usage 27% alcohol-containing mouthwash was lower than non-alcohol mouthwash. The conclusion is there will be decreasing of salty taste sensitivity because of the usage 27% alcohol-containing mouthwash in 15 days.
2. Loe, H. Oral hygiene in the prevention of caries and periodontal disease. 2000. Internasional Dental Journal, 50: 129-139.
3. Darby, M. & Walsh, M. Dental hygiene theory and practice third edition. 2009. Saunders Elsevier, 29: 550-551.
4. Werner, C & Seymour, R. are alcohol containing mouthwashes safe? British Dent J. 2009. E19: 207.
5. Haq, M, Batool, M, Ahsan, S, Qureshi, N (2009). Alcohol use in mouthwash and possible oral health concerns. JPMA, 59: 186.
6. Lemos-Junior, CA & Villoria, GEM. Reviewed evidence about the safety of the daily useof alcohol-based mouthrinses. 2008. Braz Oral Res, vol.22.
7. Rosenberg, M. The truth about mouthwash. (Jurnal elektronik). 2009. published, diakses 26 Oktober 2014; http://EzineArticles.com/2040864.
8. Farah, CS, McIntosh, L, McCullough, MJ. Mouthwashes. Australian Prescriber. 2009, vol.32: 162-164.
9. Mahdani, F. Perbedaan kepekaan pengecap rasa manis akibat pemakaian obat kumur beralkohol. 2010. Fakultas Kedokteran Gigi Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya.
10. Hadyanto, Lim. Farmakologi kardiovaskuler. 2009. Ed. ke-2. Jakarta: PT. SOFMEDIA.
11. Felix, DH, Luker, J, Scully C. Oral medicine: 4.dry mouth and disorders of saliavation. 2012. Dental update, 738-742.
12. Howie, NM, Trigkas, TK, Cruchley, AT, Wertz, PW, Squier, CA, Williams, DM (2001). Short-term exposure to alcohol increases the permeability of human oral mucosa. Oral Diseases, 7: 349-354.
13. Reidy, JT, McHugh, EE, Stassen, LFA. A review of the role of alcohol in the pathogenesis of oral cancer and the link between alcohol containing mouthrinses and oral cancer. 2011. J of Irish Dent Association, volume 57(4): 200-202.
14. Satphaty, A, Ravindra, S, Porwal, A, Das, AC, Kumar, M, Mukhopadhyay, I. Effect of alcohol consumption status and alcohol concentration on oral pain induced by alcohol-containing mouthwash. 2013. J of Oral Science, volume 55(2): 99-105.
15. Lachenmeier, DW, Keck-Wilhelm, A, Sauermann, A, Mildau, S. Safety Assessment of Alcohol-containing mouthwashes and oral rinses. 2008. SOFW-J, vol.134(10): 70-78.
16. Ogden, GR. Alcohol and oral cancer. 2005. Alcohol 35: 169-173.
17. Sunariani, J, Yuliati, Aflah, B. Perbedaan persepsi pengecap rasa asin antara usia subur dan usia lanjut. 2007. Majalah Ilmu Faal Indonesia, vol.6(3): 182-191.
18. Smith, D.V. dan Boughter, Jr. Neurochemistry of the Gustatory System. Berlin heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 2007. hlm: 730-735.
19. Ganong, WF. Buku ajar fisiologi kedokteran. Ed. ke-22. 2008. Jakarta: EGC. hlm.199-200.
20. Chaudhari, Nirupa dan Roper, Stephen (2010). The cell biology of taste. Journal of cell biology, vol.190(3) : 285-296.