PERBANDINGAN INTENSITAS PEWARNAAN EKSTRAK BUAH TERUNG BELANDA (SOLANUM BETACEUM CAV) DENGAN DISCLOSING SOLUTION SEBAGAI BAHAN IDENTIFIKASI PLAK GIGI
Plaque control is a procedure to prevent plaque accumulation on tooth surface that can be done with mechanic or chemical procedure. Using of mouthwash is an example of plaque control in chemical procedure. In this experiment, sunflower seed oil was used for mouthwash because it’s compositions have activity toward plaque forming microorganisms. This study was meant to know the effect of sunflower seed oil on reducing dental plaque index. This study was a clinical experimental study using pretest and postest control group design. The samples of this study were the students of MA PGAI Padang. 30 students were divided randomly into two groups, a control group and a test group. The test group were given sunflower seed oil, and control group were given aquadest . Dental plaque score was measured with PHP index before and after intervention. The data analyzed by computer program with independent sample t-test and its significancy accepted if p<0,05. The results showed the significant differences of plaque index decrease after intervention, 0,66 for the control group and 1,26 for the test group. It can be conclude that gargling with sunflower seed oil can decrease the plaque index.
2. Laporan Riset Kesehatan Dasar. Jakarta: Litbang Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.2013
3. Carranza, Newman, Takei. Clinical Periodontology 11th Edition: Elsevier. 2009
4. Ann Felton, Chapman Alison, Simion Felton. Basic Guide to Oral Health Education and Promotion. 2009
5. Barathi Puroit, Abinavh Singh. Tooth Brushing, Oil Pulling, and Tissue Regeneration: A Review of Holistic Approches to Oral Health. 2011
6. Amith, H.V, Anil, Nagesh. L. Effect of Oil Pulling on Plaque and Gingivitis. J Oral Com Dent 2007; (1): 12-18
7. Asokan, Rathan, Muthu MS, Ratna PV, Emmadi P, Raghuraman, Chamundeswari. 2010. Effect of Oil Pulling on Streptococcus mutans Count in Plaque and Saliva using Dentocult SM Strip Mutans Test: A Randomized, Controlled, Triple-blinded Study. Indian J Dent Res 2010; (19): 169
8. Pamela. E, Chamundeswari. Oil Pulling on Plaque Induced Gingivitis. Indian J Dent Res 2008; (20): 47-51
9. Gina Marie, Mc Combs, Lee Melvin. Oil Pulling: an Ancient Practice for a Modern Time. J Int Oral Health 2012; (4): 1-10
10. Westfelt E. Rationale of Mechanical Plaque Control. J Periodontol 1996; (3): 38-53
11. Smullen, J., Finnei, M., Storey, D.M., and Foster, H.A. 2012, Prevention of Artificial Dental Plaque Formation in vitro by Plant Extracts. Journal of Applied Microbiology, Centre for Parasitology and Disease Research, School of sEnvironment and Life Sciences, University of Salford, Manchester, M5 4WT, U.K.
12. Cowan, M.M. Plant Product as Antimicrobial Agents. 1999. J. Microbiology Reviews12(4):564-582.
13. Thaweboon S, Nakaparskin, Thaweboon B. Effect of Oil Pulling on Oral Microorganisms in Biofilm Models. Asia J Pub Health 2011; 2 (2): 62-66
Authors who publish with Andalas Dental Journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).